Introduction to the Chronicles

This is a piece of fantasy/sword and sorcery/tech fiction. Don't just hop in anywhere. Go to the first post and read from there to enjoy the progression.

Monday, December 28, 2009

Part V: Manali with Ja'shem


The mugs were brimming with fresh Manali. Purple broth overflowing. Ja'shem sat squarely accross from Jhlem. His visage was chiseled. His skin clung tight to his bones as if to provide extra protection. It was the tension of years of battles. Vikan played with his mother near a window in the tavern while Brighteyes, the cooks 5 year old daughter barreled across the floor to joint the festivities. Spice and fruit simmered through the air.

"On your doorstep?"

"Yes Ja'shem."

"The baku died on your doorstep?"

"Should I speak slower or in Farkanese..yes, yes, yes." Jhlem's impatience was aparent. He brooded and sulked.

"And you had already petitioned your dreams back?"

Jhlem just stared at Ja'shem.

"Okay Jhlem..then what is the matter?!"

"What?"

"I don't see the Daybreaker before me yet I know that the Daybreaker was fueled and inspired by his dreams even if he was haunted by his nightmares. You led armies Jhlem! You sully yourself with mediocrity!"

Jhlem caught Dylini and the children looking in their direction due to the raising of Ja'shem's voice and felt ashamed. And the sarek finch chirping in the window annoyed him more than usual.

"Ja'shem..I don't know why my heart's blood isn't afire. It's as though I watch my dreams from a distance. Yet I would be foolish to ignore the baku's words."

"First speak to your dasha. You haven't even seen her lately have you? I'll take your silence as confirmation. Jhlem, you know that if you need a brother in arms I stand with you like at the battle of Narib yet go, reclaim your weapons, yet even before that reclaim yourself first. We're going north to visit the father of Dylini. If you need of me send word."

Ja'shem embraced Jhlem like the brother he was. As Ja'shem and his family departed Jhlem sipped on the dregs of his manali while remembering the family he once had, in part knowing why his footing was now so unsure.

No comments: